[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Sun Jan 11 22:54:00 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 03:42, Jim Richardson wrote:

> I tried emacs, I try emacs every few months, I stick with vim. Just the
> way it is I guess.

That's a little like saying, "I tried a Nissan, I stick with my home
stereo." Cars have radios, but one does not buy or avoid buying a car
because of the radio, unless you simply don't care about how good or bad
the car is in all other respects.

Mind you, I am not much of an Emacs fan, but my reasons for not liking
it are not based on its being slow (emacs was slow on 68000s, but on
hardware from 5 years ago it screams); my preference for vi / ed / cat /
perl / edt / edln as a text editor; or the idea that it "does too much".
Emacs is a step beyond the simple Microsoftish IDE, attempting to absorb
every activity into a single tool. Think of it as Gnome designed for
ascii terminals.

vi on the other hand is a fairly simple, but powerful text editor. It
does one thing well, and that is to be applauded, but I don't think it
can be fairly compared to a tool like Emacs.

On a daily basis, I use them both, but for very different things.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith