[linux-elitists] MIME handlers in the new Galeon (was Re: Does GNOME die?)

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Sun Jan 11 20:50:35 PST 2004

begin  Modus Operandi  quotation:
> I did what sneakums said. Sure enough, X server was at -10.

	It's no surprise, as that's the default for most installations
of X.

> By the way (replying to a different thread, which I think I deleted)
> this box is using GNOME as its desktop, and the Great Unwashed
> public cafe user seems to be cool with the new GNOME.  The only
> difference, upon upgrading from woody to a mix of sarge and sid
> (with a few packages still pinned to woody) is that Mozilla now has
> better MIME handling than Galeon. Some of the "cafe users" who used
> to use Galeon all the time have switched to Mozilla, because M$Word
> .doc files open in AbiWord, M$Excel files open in Gnumeric, etc. Is
> there an easy way to set up helper apps for the new Galeon? (It used
> to be under Edit -> Preferences.)

	I believe that Galeon uses the standard gnome associations.
I know how to set them in the GUI with nautilus, but I don't know
where those associations are stored (such as in some file that can be
easily rsync'd to all cafe machines).

	-- Lewis Mumford

end