[linux-elitists] MIME handlers in the new Galeon (was Re: Does GNOME die?)

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Sun Jan 11 22:33:16 PST 2004

In the immortal words of Sean Neakums <sneakums@teh.entar.net>:
> Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> writes:
>
> > Now if I can just figure out how to set it back to 0 automagically.
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
>
> Running the X server at -10 on 2.6 is a good way to get horrible
> performance.

  Hey all,

      I did what sneakums said. Sure enough, X server was at -10.

      Too soon to see whether it helps performance on this old-ass
      Pentium Pro system (circa 1996.) I'll let you know if I can tell
      the difference overnight.

      By the way (replying to a different thread, which I think I
      deleted) this box is using GNOME as its desktop, and the Great
      Unwashed public cafe user seems to be cool with the new GNOME. The
      only difference, upon upgrading from woody to a mix of sarge and
      sid (with a few packages still pinned to woody) is that Mozilla
      now has better MIME handling than Galeon. Some of the "cafe users"
      who used to use Galeon all the time have switched to Mozilla,
      because M$Word .doc files open in AbiWord, M$Excel files open in
      Gnumeric, etc. Is there an easy way to set up helper apps for the
      new Galeon? (It used to be under Edit -> Preferences.)

--
/home/modus/.signature