[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Sun Jan 11 17:51:24 PST 2004

begin  Phil Gengler  quotation:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 20:09, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > I'm sick and tired of this anti-gypsy slur.
> > racist crap without you trying to resurrect old nonsense.
>
> >From dictionary.com:

	Oh boy, I can use teh entar-web too!

http://www.wordreference.com/english/definition.asp?en-gyp

   Word
   Reference
   .com
   Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins
   Publishers:
   gyp1, gip [dZip]  (slang)
   verb (gyps, gypping, gypped, gips, gipping, gipped)
   1  [transitive]  to swindle, cheat, or defraud
   noun
   2  an act of cheating
   3  a person who gyps
   [ETYMOLOGY: 18th Century: back formation from Gypsy]

I bet you dictionary.com uses Mirriam-Webster's, which is notorious
for its racist entries.  I believe the dict folks had to spend a lot
of time cleaning up the 1913 edition for use in polite society.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end