[linux-elitists] svlug site down

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sat Jan 10 12:28:52 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:35:00PM -0800, Rich Bodo wrote:

> BTW, I noticed the SVLUG site is down, so I grabbed the directions out
> of google's cache:

The machine first crashed while I was in France, and I had someone reboot it.

It crashed again sometime after (between monday and wednesday).

I flew back wednesday night and worked on the machine, but it didn't
stay up reliably and I was only able to narrow things down to hardware
problems other than Ram.
I didn't have spare slot 1 Pentium 2s with me, so I couldn't try
swapping that, but I will as soon as I get back from Australia if one of my
coworkers isn't able to fix the machine before then.
If it's not that, it's the motherboard, and the machine (old VA hardware)
will probably just need to be junked.

Unfortunately, I couldn't just yank the drives and put them in some
google server lying around, because the drives are SCSI and except for very
expensive servers, most of the low end ones I would have found lying around
would have been IDE.

If by any chance, you have a spare motherboard with SCSI/CPU/Ram combo
that would fit in a VA 2U (2240), and you would be willing to spend the hour
or two to replace the machine's guts (not counting driving to google),
please Email Robert Flemming <flemming@spiralout.net>.
If not, and Robert can't fix the machine himself either, I'll take care of
it when I get home on monday 19th

Timing really sucks, this is just in the middle of my two longest trips
of the year

Marc