[linux-elitists] Does GNOME die?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 10 01:52:19 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:37:20AM +0100, Patrik Wallstrom wrote:
>On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, Jim Richardson wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a problem with, or know of a problem with, GNOME killing X,
>> with no warning, just *bam* there you are staring at the console and
>> wondering wtf happened?
>>
>> I have had it happen twice in the last 24 hours. Very annoying. No idea
>> what caused it, kdm restarted normally, and I could log right back in,
>> if I'd been using rxvt's with screen, I wouldn't have lost any data at
>> all, but with the screen+Gnome-terminal problem, and my attempt to be as
>> "Gnomish" as possible for this time, I lost some.
>>
>> I am running Kernel 2.6.0, with XFree4.2, and GNOME whatever, actually,
>> GNOME and XFree are bone stock current Sid, as is virtually everything
>> else bar the kernel.
>
>Maybe you have run into the priority problem?
>
>There has been some cases when XFree86 dies horribly when using
>priority -10 on the process, using 2.6.0. Maybe a change to 0 can fix
>it.

Hm, possible, I do indeed have X set to -10, can't remember if I did
that, or something else did it for me :) and am using 2.6, but I have
been using 2.6.0 since it was released, and the test series, for weeks
before that, with the same X settings, but who knows what has changed in
X or the like in that time?

Now if I can just figure out how to set it back to 0 automagically.

Do I LOOK like a damn people person?