[linux-elitists] Does GNOME die?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Fri Jan 9 16:12:00 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 05:46:54PM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:09:24PM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have a problem with, or know of a problem with, GNOME killing X,
>> with no warning, just *bam* there you are staring at the console and
>> wondering wtf happened?
>
>Is it possible X died of starvation?
>
>Not too sure what's up, but XFree86's virtual memory footprint was
>just about a gigabyte after running GNOME & Metacity for a week. This
>never happened to me with KDE or Xfce.
>
>I restarted X last night and it's hovering around 554m right now,
>which is already a little intimidating. I've created a cron job to
>periodically snapshot its use and what apps are running at the time to
>see if I can figure out when and why it's climbing.

I don't *think* that was it, I have been monitoring top for a while, and
while it was alittle higher (well, a fair bit higher) than I was used
to, it wasn't that high... But I'll track that too. Speaking of which
(rummages through sar) nah, sar -r tells me that there was no excessive
swap usage at that time, which would indicate that the system was way
into vm, if anything, the mem usage had dropped a bit before then.

Dorothy Parker's reply to her editor who was bugging her for her belated
work while she was on her honeymoon: "Too fucking busy, and vice versa."