[linux-elitists] Does GNOME die?

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Fri Jan 9 15:46:54 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:09:24PM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

> Anyone have a problem with, or know of a problem with, GNOME killing X,
> with no warning, just *bam* there you are staring at the console and
> wondering wtf happened?

Is it possible X died of starvation?

Not too sure what's up, but XFree86's virtual memory footprint was
just about a gigabyte after running GNOME & Metacity for a week. This
never happened to me with KDE or Xfce.

I restarted X last night and it's hovering around 554m right now,
which is already a little intimidating. I've created a cron job to
periodically snapshot its use and what apps are running at the time to
see if I can figure out when and why it's climbing.