[linux-elitists] Does GNOME die?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Fri Jan 9 14:36:41 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 10:18:51PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
>Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> writes:
>
>> Anyone have a problem with, or know of a problem with, GNOME killing X,
>> with no warning, just *bam* there you are staring at the console and
>> wondering wtf happened?
>>
>> I have had it happen twice in the last 24 hours. Very annoying. No idea
>> what caused it, kdm restarted normally, and I could log right back in,
>> if I'd been using rxvt's with screen, I wouldn't have lost any data at
>> all, but with the screen+Gnome-terminal problem, and my attempt to be as
>> "Gnomish" as possible for this time, I lost some.
>>
>> I am running Kernel 2.6.0, with XFree4.2, and GNOME whatever, actually,
>> GNOME and XFree are bone stock current Sid, as is virtually everything
>> else bar the kernel.
>
>kdm's equivalent of ~/.xsession-errors may contain useful information.
>Also worth checking might be /var/log/XFree86.0.log, before the server
>is restarted.

Alas, alack, I didn't get to it before X had started to restart, so
XFree's log was gone. (as an aside, that's stupid, blowing away the old
log, it *should* just write a new one, and let logrotate or me take care
of the old ones)

Hm, further probing (stop snickering) shows that I have a huge syslog
file, filled with

Jan  9 14:34:21 grendel kernel: evbug.c: Event. Dev: isa0060/serio0/input0, Type: 0, Code: 0, Value: 0

rmmoding evbug (why in ghu's name did I compile that? dunno, I like
pushing the option buttons I guess. Ooh! shiny!) removes those errors,
which may or may not have something to do with the X barf. Hm.

Whip me, Beat me, Windows Me(TM)