[linux-elitists] BASIC interpreters

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller@columbus.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 08:43:56 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 06:19:29PM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:30:27PM -0500, Modus Operandi wrote:
>You could also try frodo[1], a C-64 emulator. I actually have that in my
>Zire71. Now I only have to find out how to transfer the GEOS disks to
>it. Anyone has an idea on how to read a 1541 disk in a PC?

Can't be done on a stock MFM floppy; they're too stupid and simple.  You
could look up a hardware mod called the Catweasel, if you don't mind
proprietary software. < http://www.jschoenfeld.de/products/cwmk3_e.htm >

>Or how to build a cable to conect both machines?

cbm4linux < http://www.lb.shuttle.de/puffin/cbm4linux/ > can be used
with the XM1541 cable < http://sta.c64.org/xm1541.html > or XA1541 (I
have no idea which one is preferable).  Have some experience with a
soldering iron, or know someone who does?  Either one of these hooks up
between your friendly local 15x1 drive and the parallel 'printer' port.
	As for GEOS... um, since those disks have an asinine
copy-protection scheme, "Good luck, you'll need it" is about all I'm
prepared to say on-list at the moment.

>I've sometimes thought it'd be fun to try to make a cable from the
>C-64's serial port (the one used for disks and printers) to a port on
>the PC, then make the PC act as if it was a 1541. Or a 1571. Or maybe
>even the 1581 I could never afford.

Using a PC as a virtual disk drive has been experimented with, see
< http://www.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/CBM-to-PC/ >.
Beware, proprietary/binary-only/non-free software aplenty.

>[1] http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/FRMain.html

Footnotes suck.
--
Matthew W. Miller <mwmiller@columbus.rr.com> "You shouldn't trust _any_
software. Software is _at best_ a faithful but bumbling zombie servant