[linux-elitists] GNOME report.

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 9 00:06:20 PST 2004

on Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:22:23AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith (njs@pobox.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:08:18AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
> > Actually, that's just what GNOME session gave me, I think it's a debian
> > thing, but I don't know. I do know that I had a couple of other wms
> > installed, including larswm, and KDM (maybe that's the problem? ) first
> > started GNOME up with lwm, not particularly useful. Oem maybe it was
> > 9wm, I forget.
>
> Probably it defaults to "x-window-manager", a symlink to some window
> manager deemed to be "sensible" somehow.  It's managed with
> alternatives; I think it just defaults to the first or last wm you
> installed, or something like that, but you can change it by modifying
> /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager to point at the default you'd
> prefer.

The weights are assigned within the Debian packaging system, though how
they're determined and by whom, I'm not entirely sure (Joey?).

The defaults can be changed via 'update-alternatives'.  RTFM for more
info.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/