[linux-elitists] gnome-terminal, screen, Vim: blank screen

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 8 18:41:22 PST 2004

On 08-Jan-2004, Don Marti wrote:
> I have a sporadic problem with Vim sessions under screen in
> gnome-terminal windows going blank, and I've figured out a way to
> get it to happen almost every time.  Can anyone else duplicate this?

Yes.  It happens with virtually any ncurses application if I run it long
enough under screen + gnome-terminal.  I don't know if ncurses is a
necessary factor, but at least this shows that Vim isn't.

I've heard mutterings (here on l-e ?) before, about screen not playing
well with ncurses.  Any pointers to more info?  Preferably with
solutions or workarounds, but even just some sort of explanation would
alleviate some of the intense frustration this causes me.

--
 \           "Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep |
  `\                                             alone."  -- Anonymous |