[linux-elitists] BASIC interpreters

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Jan 8 17:30:27 PST 2004

In the immortal words of Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <ragnar@linalco.com>:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:13:17AM -0500, Matthew W. Miller wrote:
> > >Ok, I'll bite.
> > >What exactly do you consider OK from basic?
> >
> > It helps one develop a better appreciation for other languages.
> >
> > Or at least it did for me.
>
> Sayyy.. its the same as saying using MS for 10 years must be
> compulsory for everyone in order to build adecuate appreciation of
> better things?
>
> I had to do Visual Basic related consulting for about a year.  It took
> almost 2 months after it to clear my brain from its rotten influences.

  "It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
  students that have had prior exposure to BASIC; as potential
  programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

 				-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)

  This thread is giving me Commodore 64 nostalgia.

  Okay, I know it's a terrible, wrongheaded, clunky language, but is
  there a BASIC implementation for Linux?

richmond:~# apt-cache search basic | wc -l
    273
richmond:~# apt-cache search "basic interpreter"
bwbasic - Bywater BASIC Interpreter
yabasic - Yet Another BASIC interpreter
richmond:~# apt-get install bwbasic yabasic

[...]

  Not that I will actually ever do anything productive with this.

--
/home/modus/.signature