[linux-elitists] GNOME report.

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Thu Jan 8 13:32:28 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:36:20 +0200
Shlomi Fish <shlomif@iglu.org.il> wrote:

[for an elitist, you sure have trouble wrapping to 72 columns]

> In KDE configured Windows-like they also follow the same *cognitive*
> layout.  And you should give your users a choice between
> Windows/KDE/GNOME 1.0 button-order and Mac OS button order.

I think this is a pretty good example of the kind of option that GNOME
has decided not to offer.  As you say, people's choice of these
becomes subconcious, so changing the order between my desktop and
yours would confuse both of us.

In my opinion it's a wise choice.  If you disagree, well KDE does seem
to like adding that level of customization, and it's probably a better
fit for you.

> > Plus, they use verbs instead of
> > meaningless words like "OK", "Yes", "No", etc.
>
> I got used to "OK", "Yes", "No" pretty quickly. And brevity in GUI design is
> usually a good thing.

I think you ought to read the Apple and GNOME documents a bit more.
They make a pretty strong case for why verbs are better.  Did you
actually read them?

Consider the Windows dialog that says something like this

  "Do you want to stop defragmenting C:?  Press OK to stop, or Cancel
  to continue."

The bizarre wording is necessary to make "Cancel" be the safe
operation.  The effect is that you cannot choose a button without
carefully examining the text, even if you know basically what the
message is about.  In the GNOME/Apple approach, you can choose by just
scanning the buttons.

  "Do you want to stop defragmenting hda1?"

                            Stop   Continue

> > So, all in all, it sets you
> > up for a more pleasant experience, for longer.

> No it doesn't. I'm not using GNOME simply because I don't want to
> confuse myself when I work in Windows or KDE. (and I don't use Mac
> OS regularly). Why should I otherwise use one desktop/toolkit that
> is different than the rest?

I'm sure other people here would roast GNOME if it decided to
unthinkingly copy Windows to make Shlomi's life easier.

Being different in some ways from Windows or KDE or trad X is probably
necessary if you want to eventually be better.

> Well, I personally think the GNOME philosophy is unsuitable for me,

That's OK.

--
Martin