[linux-elitists] gnome-terminal, screen, Vim: blank screen

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jan 8 12:56:09 PST 2004

I have a sporadic problem with Vim sessions under screen in
gnome-terminal windows going blank, and I've figured out a way to
get it to happen almost every time.  Can anyone else duplicate this?

1. Open a new gnome-terminal tab with Control-Shift-t.

2. In the new tab, start a new screen session to run Vim on an
existing (scratch) file:

  screen vim drivel

3. In Vim, move down several lines with Down, then delete a line
of text with dd.

4. Go to another gnome-terminal tab with Alt-Left, then use Alt-Right
to come back to Vim.

5. Press Down several times, then Up several times, then Down
several times, then Up several times (usually no more than one
or two down/up cycles).  The screen goes blank.  If I enter Vim's
insert mode, newly typed text will show up, though.

This works with no .vimrc or .screenrc file in place.  I can also
duplicate it with

  screen ssh -t host1 vim drivel

and

  ssh -t host2 screen vim drivel