[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 8 10:06:52 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:23:25PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> > No, actual rendering engines. :-) I'll not say, so you can have a fun
>> > hunt.  But ping me if you want to know. (Note: This does include
>> > important GNOME apps that *aren't* in the Desktop release.)
>>
>> like khtml in KDE?
>
>Yeah.
>
>> > Oh, the Add to Panel -> Multimedia section is for *applets*. I totally
>> > grok why this is confusing. The Volume and CD Player things there are
>> > applets that sit on the panel and 'do stuff' not 'launch stuff'.
>>
>> yeah, but frankly, the applet/application distinction is pretty silly.  At
>> least from the Joe Sixpack direction. It just adds confusion that is not
>> neccesary.
>
>Well, there is the same thing with WindowMaker dockapps and applications.
>What we haven't done is made the interaction clear enough there. It's going
>to take a lot of deep thinking and work. Hard stuff.

With WindowMaker, there is no distiction presented to the user really.
All of the dockapps can be started as an application, they just reside
within an icon. When you want one on the Dock or Clip, then you just
drag it over there.

>> (btw, the GNOME dictionary applet is way cool, but it definately behaves
>> like an application :)
>
>There's, um, also the dictionary app too. Which is what the applet runs. ;-)

yeah, I can see the distinction ;)

>> Oh, is there a simple way to create an applet, like the dictionary one,
>> that would just toss the words entered at a browser with google or ebay
>> or something?
>
>Yes, there is one in CVS called, um, webeyes. It's had a tarball release,
>but it's not in Debian yet. There's also Alan Cox's 'googlizer', which is
>just a tiny program that pops up a browser with the PRIMARY selection as the
>Google query string. :-)

Something like that, what I would like, would be a std text box, you
enter the string and select "send to" or something, and it pushes it off
to the browser, packed with the URL wrapped for ebay or whatever. Like
Galeon's smart bookmarklets (which I miss terribly! sniff)

The url mangling stuff is easy enough to do in python, pushing the
python stuff from the GNOME panel is where I am lost.

We aim to please. Ourselves, mostly, but we do aim to please.
Anthony DeBoer