[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME report.

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 8 09:59:30 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 03:04:39PM +0000, Jason Lunz wrote:
>warlock@eskimo.com said:
>> Can't resize a window by the edges, when you've maxed it with the
>> windowbar button, can't even move it.=20
>
>sawfish.
>middle-click desktop -> customize -> minimizing and maximizing ->
>uncheck "Lock position and size while windows are maximized".
>
>> GNOME loses my multiple desktops when restarted. (like after a reboot.)
>
>sawfish.
>middle-click desktop -> customize -> workspaces, add the ones you want,
>and name them. they'll be persistent after that.

yeah, I did that, problem was, it didn't work.

>> Selecting "copy link address" from the URL menu in GNOME terminal,
>> results in said selection *not* being placed in the X selection, but in
>> some GNOME specific thing. Making it absolutely useless for mmb paste.
>> Frankly, this sucks.=20
>
>primary selection vs. clipboard:
>http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

Nice description of the system, but no help in making the problem go
away. Unless I missed it?

>> Can't make the vDesktops sequence circular, so that running off the edge
>> of the last one, pops you to the beginning of the first one.=20
>
>I haven't figured this one out yet.
>
>Finally, if you do want to change window managers, i don't think
>"killall sawfish; metacity" will work because sawfish is persistent in
>gnome session. I think you want to go to "Desktop preferences ->
>Advanced -> Sessions" and remove sawfish from your session before
>running a new WM.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. :)

Thanks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein