[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 04:23:25 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> > No, actual rendering engines. :-) I'll not say, so you can have a fun
> > hunt.  But ping me if you want to know. (Note: This does include
> > important GNOME apps that *aren't* in the Desktop release.)
>
> like khtml in KDE?

Yeah.

> > Oh, the Add to Panel -> Multimedia section is for *applets*. I totally
> > grok why this is confusing. The Volume and CD Player things there are
> > applets that sit on the panel and 'do stuff' not 'launch stuff'.
>
> yeah, but frankly, the applet/application distinction is pretty silly.  At
> least from the Joe Sixpack direction. It just adds confusion that is not
> neccesary.

Well, there is the same thing with WindowMaker dockapps and applications.
What we haven't done is made the interaction clear enough there. It's going
to take a lot of deep thinking and work. Hard stuff.

> (btw, the GNOME dictionary applet is way cool, but it definately behaves
> like an application :)

There's, um, also the dictionary app too. Which is what the applet runs. ;-)

> Oh, is there a simple way to create an applet, like the dictionary one,
> that would just toss the words entered at a browser with google or ebay
> or something?

Yes, there is one in CVS called, um, webeyes. It's had a tarball release,
but it's not in Debian yet. There's also Alan Cox's 'googlizer', which is
just a tiny program that pops up a browser with the PRIMARY selection as the
Google query string. :-)

- Jeff

            ...                           *bounce*bounce*bounce*