[linux-elitists] GNOME report.

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Thu Jan 8 03:16:00 PST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 10:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Shlomi Fish">
>
> > The bottom buttons in the dialog boxes are arranged from right to left
> > instead of from left to right.
>
> That's an inaccurate description of the design.
>

> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#alert-button-o
>rder
>
> (Plus, dialogues should be rare - coherent and verbal too, but rare.)

I am still annoyed by handling all these dialog or input boxes when I have to
handle them. In KDE, I just follow my instincts and press the correct button.
In GNOME or Gtk+ apps, I have to think - "wait a second, this is not right",
before I have to read the labels and press the correct button. That's not
good.

> > This is a more Mac OS behaviour than the Windows one I'm used to and it
> > is practically hard-coded into Gtk+. I've been meaning to send a patch to
> > make this configurable, but haven't done so, yet.
>
> It's not something that will go away. You can't actually make it an
> "option" because it's a very specific application layout design, not a
> "reversal".

I beg to differ. In Gtk+ there's a special enum value intended for this, which
maps to either LEFT or RIGHT. One can hack Gtk+ so that upon initialization
it will see if the configuration file or an env var sets it to the opposite
and then map it to the opposite direction. This way people can configure Gtk+
GNOME to their liking. (just like you can configure Qt and KDE like that)

> We had many a flamewar, lots of user testing, and many
> discussions with distributors and so on about it.

You deserve all this mess.

> The design is there for
> consistency and usability, and as the Siemens study showed, making things
> "work like Windows" [1] and familiar to Windows is not the best strategy we
> can take. Making the best usability decision can be a far better call.

I beg to differ: making things similar to what the user _is used to_ (whether
Windows or otherwise) is the best usability decision. Suddenly reversing the
order of the buttons will cause people to become very frustrated with GNOME.
And I heard from someone that he knows several guys who switched from GNOME
to KDE for various reasons, after GNOME 2.0 came out. Other than that I don't
see the GNOME's excuse for setting the buttons this way (that the user's eye
jumps to the bottom-right corner of the dialog) as good enough to force this
scheme over the traditional Windows/KDE/GNOME 1.x/whatever one.

That put aside, I must say that I completely disagree with the GNOME's "less
is more" ideology. I found Metacity to be the lamest WM I ever encountered,
and could not get it to behave even remotely like I liked it to be. (I
quickly switched to Sawfish, but then missed the nice configuration dialog in
GNOME). Also, why isn't it possible in GNOME 2.0 (don't know about later
versions) to configure the fonts? My fonts were initially very unusable.
Finally, why did gfontsel and the excellent font choice dialog disappear? I
very much miss them.

KDE knows that people like choices, and so is very configurable (albeit
sometimes not from the UI, but from initialization files). Furthermore, it
can emulate other popular desktop systems, so people who are used to one of
them will quickly feel at home. I think its usability is second to none.

> - Jeff
>
> [1] Who don't actually have a coherent design for dialogue buttons. They
> are just... how they are.

Most of the dialog buttons in Windows are arranged in one order. The OK to the
far left, the Cancel to its right. The help to the far right. KDE can be
configured to be much like that, but in GNOME it is the opposite. Sorry, I
don't buy it.

Regards.

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il