[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 8 02:59:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:21:28PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> Hm, adding applets to taskbar is a bit confusing. The "launcher"
>> terminology is a bit abstruse for joe and jane doe don't you think? I
>> wanted to add Mozilla, and the first place I looked, was the "internet"
>> menu item, but I had to troll through all the options to get to launcher
>> from menus->internet. Minor nit, but annoying.
>
>Yeah, this is being fixed up. The panel/applets/launchers/desktop areas need
>some serious interaction love, we're mostly still stuck with stuff from the
>1.4 era there. (These are the kinds of things that the trolls don't know to
>troll about, but you're finding them through straightforward user testing. I
>haven't even mentioned the three HTML renderers in various areas of GNOME..)

ooh! a scavenger hunt!

um, what do you mean by html renderer? you mean like nautilus and the
help file thingy?

>> Jeff, are you *sure* you've done useability studies on the menu structure?
>> Multimedia, on the first level of the Add to panel, shows no movie
>> viewers, no dvd players, but a volume app, and a cd player... Ok, that's
>> *some* of the functionality, but multi, to me, implies video as well as
>> sound.
>
>Do you have any installed? :-) In my Multimedia menu, I have: CD Player,
>EasyTAG, MPlayer, Quark Music Player, Rhythmbox, Sound Juicer CD Ripper,
>Sweep (which totally rocks, btw, check it out), Totem Movie Player, Vanity
>Webcam Utility, Volume Control, Volume Control (ALSA) [1], XMMS, realplayer.

I mean that rt click on the panel, select, add to panel, select
multimedia, and all I get is the CD app, and the volume app, I have a
bitchload of stuff like Mplayer, Xine, Ogle, VLC, etc. installed, and
it's present in the add->launcher-from-menu->multimedia selection, but
not the add->multimedia section. Seems odd.

>[1] Yech. GNOME 2.6 will have a volume control that works for all. This is
>yucky right now. ;-)
>
>> Added a command line to the task bar, it's fine, but gives no indication
>> of failure of a command. Or success for that matter, alt-f2 pops up an
>> error if an error is returned. Why the inconsistancy?
>
>Different code. Great bug though -> bug-buddy! :-)

I'll add that one too :)

>> Screen repaints are pretty slow with Metacity, way slower than
>> WindowMaker, and a bit slower than Sawfish it seems.
>>
>> So far, I don't think I like metacity at all.
>
>There are some perf. problems with metacity, yeah. It would be great to have
>someone go over it with a fine-tooth-X-performance comb! Interaction has
>been the major goal though, so it performs 'adequately', not spectacularly.

My C is far from good, and is good and rusty, but for some reason, I am
better at finding performance problems, than I am in writing the code in
the first place. Probably just a matter of inexperience, it's often
easier to pick holes in something, than to make it in the first place.

>> Oh, and it eats my alt-tab also.
>
>It shouldn't do that, but from the above X keyboard errors you were getting,
>sounds like something broader is up -> could you paste that whole error?
>(You can select and copy messages directly out of the dialogue.)

I'll look into it some more, and if that doesn't help, I'll cut and
paste and ask for help some more :)

>> Not impressed. Will persevere, but things are looking grim.
>
>Heh. Good feedback though, thanks! I hope my answers are helping.

Yeah, they are. Thanks.