[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 02:21:28 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> Hm, adding applets to taskbar is a bit confusing. The "launcher"
> terminology is a bit abstruse for joe and jane doe don't you think? I
> wanted to add Mozilla, and the first place I looked, was the "internet"
> menu item, but I had to troll through all the options to get to launcher
> from menus->internet. Minor nit, but annoying.

Yeah, this is being fixed up. The panel/applets/launchers/desktop areas need
some serious interaction love, we're mostly still stuck with stuff from the
1.4 era there. (These are the kinds of things that the trolls don't know to
troll about, but you're finding them through straightforward user testing. I
haven't even mentioned the three HTML renderers in various areas of GNOME..)

> Jeff, are you *sure* you've done useability studies on the menu structure?
> Multimedia, on the first level of the Add to panel, shows no movie
> viewers, no dvd players, but a volume app, and a cd player... Ok, that's
> *some* of the functionality, but multi, to me, implies video as well as
> sound.

Do you have any installed? :-) In my Multimedia menu, I have: CD Player,
EasyTAG, MPlayer, Quark Music Player, Rhythmbox, Sound Juicer CD Ripper,
Sweep (which totally rocks, btw, check it out), Totem Movie Player, Vanity
Webcam Utility, Volume Control, Volume Control (ALSA) [1], XMMS, realplayer.

[1] Yech. GNOME 2.6 will have a volume control that works for all. This is
yucky right now. ;-)

> Added a command line to the task bar, it's fine, but gives no indication
> of failure of a command. Or success for that matter, alt-f2 pops up an
> error if an error is returned. Why the inconsistancy?

Different code. Great bug though -> bug-buddy! :-)

> Screen repaints are pretty slow with Metacity, way slower than
> WindowMaker, and a bit slower than Sawfish it seems.
>
> So far, I don't think I like metacity at all.

There are some perf. problems with metacity, yeah. It would be great to have
someone go over it with a fine-tooth-X-performance comb! Interaction has
been the major goal though, so it performs 'adequately', not spectacularly.

> Oh, and it eats my alt-tab also.

It shouldn't do that, but from the above X keyboard errors you were getting,
sounds like something broader is up -> could you paste that whole error?
(You can select and copy messages directly out of the dialogue.)

> Not impressed. Will persevere, but things are looking grim.

Heh. Good feedback though, thanks! I hope my answers are helping.

- Jeff

             "jwz? no way man, he's my idle" - James Wilkinson