[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 8 01:37:23 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:56:05PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> >Mine is hits 12.4MB, but 10.6MB is shared. So, not too shabby at all.
>>
>> I had 5704K shared, but that's probably because I wasn't running GNOME or
>> something.
>>
>> Shared is nice, but only if something *else* is sharing it, right?
>
>Yeah. :-) However, you can build metacity to not link against or use a whole
>chunk of extra stuff (it's not strictly 'GNOME' stuff anyway), and I'd guess
>that it would strip down to be on the biggish side of the minimal window
>managers. After all, you're linking against a complete GUI toolkit (so this
>makes sense on embedded systems that use GTK+, which is why it was done).

Ok, now using Metacity. For that GNOME experience...

First, keylauncher fails, because something is complaining about it
attempting to do an X grabkeys. Not good.

Kbd shortcuts now work, and vDesktops live beyond restarting GNOME
session.

Hm, adding applets to taskbar is a bit confusing. The "launcher"
terminology is a bit abstruse for joe and jane doe don't you think? I
wanted to add Mozilla, and the first place I looked, was the "internet"
menu item, but I had to troll through all the options to get to launcher
from menus->internet. Minor nit, but annoying.

Jeff, are you *sure* you've done useability studies on the menu
structure? Multimedia, on the first level of the Add to panel, shows no
movie viewers, no dvd players, but a volume app, and a cd player... Ok,
that's *some* of the functionality, but multi, to me, implies video as
well as sound.

Added a command line to the task bar, it's fine, but gives no indication
of failure of a command. Or success for that matter, alt-f2 pops up an
error if an error is returned. Why the inconsistancy?

Screen repaints are pretty slow with Metacity, way slower than
WindowMaker, and a bit slower than Sawfish it seems.

So far, I don't think I like metacity at all.

Oh, and it eats my alt-tab also.

Not impressed. Will persevere, but things are looking grim.