[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 00:56:05 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> >Mine is hits 12.4MB, but 10.6MB is shared. So, not too shabby at all.
>
> I had 5704K shared, but that's probably because I wasn't running GNOME or
> something.
>
> Shared is nice, but only if something *else* is sharing it, right?

Yeah. :-) However, you can build metacity to not link against or use a whole
chunk of extra stuff (it's not strictly 'GNOME' stuff anyway), and I'd guess
that it would strip down to be on the biggish side of the minimal window
managers. After all, you're linking against a complete GUI toolkit (so this
makes sense on embedded systems that use GTK+, which is why it was done).

- Jeff

   You know the end is nigh when modern art is relegated to the status of
                                  "meme".