[linux-elitists] GNOME report.

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 00:42:41 PST 2004

<quote who="Shlomi Fish">

> The bottom buttons in the dialog boxes are arranged from right to left
> instead of from left to right.

That's an inaccurate description of the design.

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#alert-button-order

(Plus, dialogues should be rare - coherent and verbal too, but rare.)

> This is a more Mac OS behaviour than the Windows one I'm used to and it is
> practically hard-coded into Gtk+. I've been meaning to send a patch to
> make this configurable, but haven't done so, yet.

It's not something that will go away. You can't actually make it an "option"
because it's a very specific application layout design, not a "reversal". We
had many a flamewar, lots of user testing, and many discussions with
distributors and so on about it. The design is there for consistency and
usability, and as the Siemens study showed, making things "work like
Windows" [1] and familiar to Windows is not the best strategy we can take.
Making the best usability decision can be a far better call.

- Jeff

[1] Who don't actually have a coherent design for dialogue buttons. They are
just... how they are.

     "The Irish were next, being the only people who could credibly be
    accused of lowering the tone of a society of convicts." - Guy Rundle