[linux-elitists] GNOME report.

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 00:18:33 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> > Please suggest this in bugzilla.
>
> Ok, how do I do that? (Feel free to say rtfm, provided you show me where
> the fm is :)

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ or just run bug-buddy for a less fascist
experience (*cough* Nick *cough*).

> > > System is a bit "sluggish" compared to WindowMaker, but that's to be
> > > expected, and it's not as bad as I feared, or as bad as it was a few revs
> > > ago.
> >
> > Great!
>
> probably sawfish stuff ;)

Haw haw. ;-)

> > Metacity is even better in this respect - and can actually be built without
> > a lot of GNOME stuff for almost-embedded use - but I'm not sure if you'd be
> > satisfied by its default behaviour and preferences.
>
> Are they much different from Sawfish?

There are like, seven visible preferences or something.

> I'd switch to metacity if that made any diff. I am not stuck on sawfish,
> with the caveats of the above stuff, it does what a WM should do, fade
> into the background.

Yeah, we hope so.

  killall sawfish; metacity &

Then, when you quit GNOME, save your session. Then metacity will always
start. Optionally, you can futz around with Debian alternatives and stuff.

- Jeff

  If Perl is gaffer, and Python is Magic Tape, then Ruby is self-adhesive
                                plate gold.