[linux-elitists] GNOME report.

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Wed Jan 7 23:12:10 PST 2004

Well, it's been a few days with GNOME, and time for a prelim
bitchsession

Likes and dislikes, some are GNOME and some the WM (Sawfish)

Dislikes:
    Severity:   Broken

Can't resize a window by the edges, when you've maxed it with the
windowbar button, can't even move it.

GNOME loses my multiple desktops when restarted. (like after a reboot.)

Kbd shortcuts for actions and applications bar, don't work.
I can configure them, change them, see the new ones, but none of them
work.

Selecting "copy link address" from the URL menu in GNOME terminal,
results in said selection *not* being placed in the X selection, but in
some GNOME specific thing. Making it absolutely useless for mmb paste.
Frankly, this sucks.

    Severity:   Annoying

Mouse pointer goes across v-desktop border with no resistance, really
annoying, causing one to pogo from desktop to desktop in order to click
on buttons near the edge, or manipulate the scroll bar with the mouse.

Can't make the vDesktops sequence circular, so that running off the edge
of the last one, pops you to the beginning of the first one.

System is a bit "sluggish" compared to WindowMaker, but that's to be
expected, and it's not as bad as I feared, or as bad as it was a few
revs ago.

Likes:

GNOME terminal is really nice, with the caveat of the slow speed, and
the WM bobbles mentioned above.  I especially like the URL handling

Sawfish is pretty snappy itself, mem requirements seem to be on the same
order of magnitude as WindowMaker.

GNOME panel is kindo nice, although scarred by the inexplicable loss of
my vDesktops mentioned above.

gDesklets are interesting, although most of them, for one reason or
another, didn't work. But it's a nice idea, and combines eye candy and
funcionality in an interesting way

Most stuff works well enough, not spectacular, but no complaints except
the ones above.