[linux-elitists] Broad variety

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 7 22:20:01 PST 2004

On 07-Jan-2004, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> There are a surprising number of posters with unusual platform
> experience. In my office, it seems like you're the odd man out if you
> ever owned anything but a Mac or a PC. The occasional renegade freak
> might have an Apple ][ in the closet somewhere.
>
> Why the broad variety on the list?

I didn't realise we had a variety of broads on this list.

(*bdom-tssh* -- old, offensively sexist and wordplay in the one joke).

Posit: The great majority of l-e members are here because we like free
software for its freedom.

Posit: Computer folk who have become attached to a platform and watched
it become completely obsolete, have battle scars to show why keeping
good technology proprietary is a bad thing.

Analysis: May people who became attached to good, but now-obsolete,
proprietary platforms are interested in free software for its freedom.

Conclusion: Many of said people gravitate to the l-e list because of its
focus on software freedom rather than expediency, and contribute to the
broad platform experience you've observed.

--
 \     "Oh, I realize it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at |
  `\      me: I've worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme |