[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME terminal

Adam Lazur adam@lazur.org
Wed Jan 7 18:32:19 PST 2004

Tim Potter (tpot@samba.org) said:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 07:12:33PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Whenever I build stuff (which is lots, considering GARNOME and release
> > stuff), I do it in screen. :-)
>
> Does anyone else think that screen and gnome-terminal could be combined
> in some useful way?  I guess I'm thinking of a gui that's integrated
> into the gnome-terminal menu.

FWIW, the only GUI screen stuff I'm aware of is Escreen, which if you
couldn't guess from the leading E, ships with Eterm (on debian: run
Eterm as Escreen with a symlink and you're in Escreen mode).

It adds GUI buttons to your screen windows. Behind the scenes it works
by adding a "hardstatus alwayslastline" and parsing it. I believe
there's also support for attaching an Escreen window to screen sessions
on remote systems.

I played with it back when I initially heard about it, but it wasn't
exciting enough to switch away from rxvt for. Besides, the status line
annoys me.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey