[linux-elitists] tuna wiggle

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jan 7 15:40:28 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:34:39AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Is there anything particular in below invocation
>
> /sbin/hdparm -u1 -c3 -d1 -m16 -A1 -X69 -M254 /dev/hda
>
> which will make it hang the machine, at times, when called from /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> but not from an interactive shell?

Try putting a 'sleep 2' and/or a 'sync' before the call to hdparm, to
let the initscripts calm down from pounding on your disk.  I've had to
do that on some of my boxes in the past.

Also, only modifying one paramater at a time in the init script also
seems to work well.

Touchy ide drives...

greg k-h