[linux-elitists] sarge

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 7 14:36:51 PST 2004

Quoting Modus Operandi (modus@as220.org):

> Also fixed an issue with Mozilla, which was missing the PSM (personal
> security manager) package and having problems with some websites
> (Hotmail -- shudder) because of that. Sure enough, mozilla-psm is a
> separate package. Got it.

Yeah, I remember being bitten by that one.

> Also patched the kernel as Karsten recommended. Toying with the idea
> of trying the 2.6 series next, although I haven't perceived any
> difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

Lazy people who just want a fix for yesterday's kernel bug and don't
mind using someone else's precompiled kernel can get an unofficial
prerelease from the Debian kernel-image-* package maintainer, Herbert
Xu, here:  http://people.debian.org/~herbert/sid/

But it's just about as simple to compile one.

> mplayer is giving me trouble, but there's nothing new about that ...
> I've gotten it to work on my home system with Mandrake, using urpmi,
> but I've never successfully apt-get installed it or built it from
> source. Anybody else have mplayer / debian experience? (Yes, I did add
> marillat.free.fr to my sources -- tell me something I don't know.)

Can't be of immediate assistance; the marillat packages worked fine for
me.  If there were any glitches to overcome, I can no longer remember
them.  Maybe your describing the nature of your problem would help --
and, if not here, then on the debian-user mailing list.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!