[linux-elitists] sarge

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Wed Jan 7 16:15:44 PST 2004

In the immortal words of Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>:

> A reasonably effective remedy is to put _both_ testing and unstable
> lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, e.g.:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> ...and this line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:
>
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
> There are other ways to do that, but any way you do it, you've now
> enabled yourself to do things like this:
>
> apt-get -t unstable install gnome-games
>
> This specifies the unstable target-release (or "track", as I put it) for
> the named package _and_ for any dependencies of that package.

  Score! I got my Galeon from the unstable track using this trick. I'll
  keep you up-to-date on any problems with the unstable Galeon.

  Also fixed an issue with Mozilla, which was missing the PSM (personal
  security manager) package and having problems with some websites
  (Hotmail -- shudder) because of that. Sure enough, mozilla-psm is a
  separate package. Got it.

  Also patched the kernel as Karsten recommended. Toying with the idea
  of trying the 2.6 series next, although I haven't perceived any
  difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. (More accurately, there
  are so many other differences in speed and performance between my
  old stable system and the new testing/unstable one -- some things
  running dramatically faster, others much slower -- that it's
  difficult to notice any specific performance boost attributable to
  the kernel swap.)

  mplayer is giving me trouble, but there's nothing new about that ...
  I've gotten it to work on my home system with Mandrake, using urpmi,
  but I've never successfully apt-get installed it or built it from
  source. Anybody else have mplayer / debian experience? (Yes, I did add
  marillat.free.fr to my sources -- tell me something I don't know.)

--
/home/modus/.signature