[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Wed Jan 7 13:01:38 PST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <ragnar@linalco.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:13:49AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > 3. My favourite language is Perl, but I am also fond of Haskell and Matlab for
> > some purposes. Other languages that are OK are ANSI C, Common Lisp/Scheme,
> > BASIC (which I still have fond memories of), and Visual Basic for
> > Applications.
>
> Ok, I'll bite.
>
> What exactly do you consider OK from basic?
>
> --
> Ragnar Hojland - Project Manager

QBasic 4.5 allows the author to set some inputs to a procedure as
read-only, some as write-only, and some as read-write.  Also the notation
of Basic is close to the notation of recent European mathematics, and thus
close to the notation of much engineering, accounting, economics, etc..  Of
course, famously, Basic is missing some useful faculties of INTERCAL, such
as COME FROM, and most of the modal operators, such as ABSTAIN, PLEASE,
OCCASIONALLY, EQUILIBRATE, DELIBERATELY, UFFISHLY, BACK-REACT, CONVERSELY,
THERE-EXISTS, WITH-CLAMPS, etc..

oo--JS.