[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 12:41:12 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:29, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:05:08AM -0800, Ben Woodard wrote:
>
> > Anybody want to talk robotics with me? Anybody know of any good forums
> > for open source robotics?
>
> Funny you mention BASIC, I always thought FORTH was firmly associated with
> robots:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=FORTH+robotics&btnG=Google+Search
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=FORTH+robot&btnG=Google+Search
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=FORTH+robots&btnG=Google+Search

Interesting, I haven't done comprehensive research but almost all the
currently available robot kits that I've come across are BASIC stamp
controlled.

> and
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=open+source+robotics&btnG=Google+Search

The first link on this list:

http://www.intel.com/software/products/opensource/platform/osr.htm

is the one that I have my eyes on. Evidently intel has this little
robotic experimental board. However, I have yet to figure out hot to get
a hold of it. I have a couple of inquiries into into intel but I haven't
gotten anything back yet.

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~haehnel/research/intel/stayton/
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~stachnis/stayton.html
http://openrobotics.ece.pdx.edu/

> gets plenty of hits, too.
>
> If you don't want to mess with deep embeddeds, you can go mini-ITX:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mini+ITX+robots&btnG=Google+Search

The challenge with building based upon something like this is the power
consumption can be really high. Though, I must say that it is a good
idea that I may go for if the stayton is too hard to get a hold of or is
too expensive.

Another idea is to get something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3450422087&category=42206 and put the control circuitry out on the USB bus. I've even considered using the display to give the computer a bit of a "face" to interact with.

-ben