[linux-elitists] Red Hat borrows $500M

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jan 7 10:48:46 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:39:42PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>   "Consumers want USB drivers and digital camera support; but for the
>   enterprise desktop, that is a little bit different - that area is ripe,"
>   he said. "We think that the enterprise desktop market place is much more
>   strategic and has buyers whose needs we can exceed."

The main point here is that compainies that make "enterprise hardware"
have finally realized that drivers for their hardware matter.  So they
help write them and/or provide specs for their hardware.

But for consumer devices it is a whole different story.  Companies just
don't care, and so Linux always lags in device support (however it seems
to lag much less than other OSs, I get emails all the time from other OS
developers, both open and closed[1], asking about protocols used to talk
to different devices...)

It has gotten a lot better, but we still have a long way to go...

greg k-h

[1] My favorite ones are from Sun os developers asking me about my Linux
Journal articles, and why things are implemented in Linux in specific
ways.