[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Wed Jan 7 03:21:21 PST 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 10:43, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:13:49AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > 3. My favourite language is Perl, but I am also fond of Haskell and
> > Matlab for some purposes. Other languages that are OK are ANSI C, Common
> > Lisp/Scheme, BASIC (which I still have fond memories of), and Visual
> > Basic for Applications.
>
> Ok, I'll bite.
>
> What exactly do you consider OK from basic?

OK, BASIC is pretty lame, but it used to be fun to program with. I can testify
that it is indeed far inferior to most other languages in common use today,
and probably should not be used or learned. I just happened to like it, that
all.

I've been programming since I was 10 years old, starting from the BASIC
interpreter that was invoked by default on the XT ROM BIOS (if anyone can
recall these days). The booklets I learned from actually taught to program in
structured programming rather than a goto spaghetti, so the transition to C
and then to other languages was easier. I had a lot of experience working
with DOS and Windows 3.1 before I started using UNIX. I think it gives you
good perspective because you understand why UNIX (and especially Linux) is so
good, because the other systems I used sucked so badly.

Nowadays, we can expect fewer and fewer new programmers to truly appreciate
how good Linux is, because they did not witness the DOS and Windows 3.11
days.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il