[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Wed Jan 7 02:46:33 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:21:46PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Aaron Lehmann">
>
>> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:13:28PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>> > Well, it was Ximian's product, and I don't grok what you mean by going
>> > too far. It was a GUI package management tool.
>>
>> AFAIK it sidestepped apt and other tools rather than integrating with
>> them.
>
>Yeah, it hits the metal at the dpkg level. That's really not such a hideous
>thing, because the real level you need to integrate with Debian is at that
>level, not apt's. apt is just a downloader and dependency resolver. I'm was
>never a huge fan of RC myself, but I grok why they chose to impliment it
>this way.

Sidestepping apt is fine.

Sidestepping apt, in such a way that it *breaks* apt for other apps, is
not. RC did things like pinning files, and forcing installs. Bad idea.

>> I think it was part of Gnome's plans for world domination that you're so
>> fond of speaking of.
>
>Red Carpet has always been a Ximian product, and never considered as a GNOME
>project.

I tried it on one system, it took the better part of a week to hunt down
and destroy all the traces of it after I decided I didn't want it any
more.

The race isn't always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong,
But it's the safest way to bet.