[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Jon Carnes jonc@nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 7 00:45:29 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 03:13, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I became aware of this list because a friend of mine forwarded some messages
> from it to different lists I am a member of. It sounded interesting so I
> joined it.
>
> My name is Shlomi Fish, I am 26 years old, living in Tel Aviv, and studying in
> the Technion (which is in Haifa - ;-)). I am an open source user, developer,
> advocate and do my best to be a good Linux citizen. So far the project I
> invested the largest amount of time in was Freecell Solver
> (http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/freecell-solver/), but I also started or
> contributed to other projects (including Perl, the GIMP and Subversion).
>
> Some of my preferences are:
>
> 1. My favourite editor is gvim. I'm so lame that I use it in Windows-like
> mode, and I press Alt+F,S to save a file and so cannot use vim. (but at least
> I'm not too lame to admit it). On terminals I use joe, without any special
> configuration.
>
> 2. I use KDE 3.1.x as my desktop. I also like IceWM, but GNOME 2.x drove me
> away because the order of the buttons in the dialogs was reversed. (and
> Meta-city was so non-configurable that I had to replace it with Sawfish -
> what were they thinking?)
>
> 3. My favourite language is Perl, but I am also fond of Haskell and Matlab for
> some purposes. Other languages that are OK are ANSI C, Common Lisp/Scheme,
> BASIC (which I still have fond memories of), and Visual Basic for
> Applications.
>
> 4. I write most English documents in DocBook/XML, documents with lots of
> equations or such that contain Hebrew and only need to be printed in LaTeX,
> and Hebrew documents that need to be converted to a multitude of formats in
> OpenOffice.
>
> 5. I am very fond of HTML and other web-technologies like CSS and XML, and so
> far maintain a large number of sites. (check my home-site for links)
>
> 6. I use Subversion for most of my version control needs, unless I need to use
> CVS. (which I dislike more and more everyday because Subversion is so much
> nicer)
>
> Well, enough of that.
>
> Anyway, I saw the recent "GNOME > You" war, and I decided against voicing my
> opinion. Hopefully, things will get more quiet here, soon.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> 	Shlomi Fish

Welcome Shlomi Fish,

This list is fairly good and stays on top of most topics.  Unfortunately
it also has a much larger share of pissing wars than other groups. Still
it's fairly easy to separate out the noise makers from the signal
distributors - so *plonk* em if you don't like em. :-)

Take care - Jon Carnes