[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Wed Jan 7 00:13:49 PST 2004

Hi all!

I became aware of this list because a friend of mine forwarded some messages
from it to different lists I am a member of. It sounded interesting so I
joined it.

My name is Shlomi Fish, I am 26 years old, living in Tel Aviv, and studying in
the Technion (which is in Haifa - ;-)). I am an open source user, developer,
advocate and do my best to be a good Linux citizen. So far the project I
invested the largest amount of time in was Freecell Solver
(http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/freecell-solver/), but I also started or
contributed to other projects (including Perl, the GIMP and Subversion).

Some of my preferences are:

1. My favourite editor is gvim. I'm so lame that I use it in Windows-like
mode, and I press Alt+F,S to save a file and so cannot use vim. (but at least
I'm not too lame to admit it). On terminals I use joe, without any special
configuration.

2. I use KDE 3.1.x as my desktop. I also like IceWM, but GNOME 2.x drove me
away because the order of the buttons in the dialogs was reversed. (and
Meta-city was so non-configurable that I had to replace it with Sawfish -
what were they thinking?)

3. My favourite language is Perl, but I am also fond of Haskell and Matlab for
some purposes. Other languages that are OK are ANSI C, Common Lisp/Scheme,
BASIC (which I still have fond memories of), and Visual Basic for
Applications.

4. I write most English documents in DocBook/XML, documents with lots of
equations or such that contain Hebrew and only need to be printed in LaTeX,
and Hebrew documents that need to be converted to a multitude of formats in
OpenOffice.

5. I am very fond of HTML and other web-technologies like CSS and XML, and so
far maintain a large number of sites. (check my home-site for links)

6. I use Subversion for most of my version control needs, unless I need to use
CVS. (which I dislike more and more everyday because Subversion is so much
nicer)

Well, enough of that.

Anyway, I saw the recent "GNOME > You" war, and I decided against voicing my
opinion. Hopefully, things will get more quiet here, soon.

Best Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il
Homepage: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/