[linux-elitists] Red Hat borrows $500M

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Jan 6 23:43:40 PST 2004

On 07 Jan 2004 at 01:28:25, Brian McGroarty arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Red Hat hasn't yet established itself as a company that will always be
> there for the customer.

> And dropping the desktop with their flamboyant "okay, we've been living a
> lie -- take those boxes back to Windows" proclamation sure didn't help in
> solidifying their image, either.

Yeah... in fact, with many companies, it's done exactly the opposite.

We all spent hours telling the PHBs "yeah, this Linux-thing will save the
company tons of money... it's free!" They went with RedHat because "RedHat
= Linux" and "They provide support! And since we're used to M$'s shit
breaking, we need support!"

Now we all look like idiots because RedHat decided that the desktop was a
worthless battle... right when it seemed they were starting to make
inroads, too. And workstation is no longer "free." Oh no. It's $300/machine
"free."

That's one of the great things about open source, though... the fact that
RedHat made such a tactical error as to piss off their unseen core
customers (home users, hobbyists, and smaller companies) could be the
beginning of the end for them... but since it *is* open source, we have to
ask ourselves "Why do I care?"

"Especially since you made me look like an idiot to my boss."

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed -- 0xDF8708F8 || preed@sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
                                            -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I use PGP; you should use PGP too... if only to piss off John Ashcroft