[linux-elitists] Red Hat borrows $500M

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 23:39:42 PST 2004

<quote who="Brian McGroarty">

> And dropping the desktop with their flamboyant "okay, we've been living a
> lie -- take those boxes back to Windows" proclamation sure didn't help in
> solidifying their image, either.

Grr. This is not the case. Red Hat have a desktop product [1]. As a realist
looking the Linux Desktop case, Szulik understands that *right now* Linux is
not appropriate for all users, and a large proportion of will probably be
better off sticking with Windows. He has not said that we are living a lie.
He has provided a very balanced and fair assessment of the marketplace as it
stands right now. To quote [2]:

  "I would say that for the consumer market place, Windows probably
  continues to be the right product line," he said. "I would argue that from
  the device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the other traditional
  functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is my view that
  [Linux] technology needs to mature a little bit more."

  "Consumers want USB drivers and digital camera support; but for the
  enterprise desktop, that is a little bit different - that area is ripe,"
  he said. "We think that the enterprise desktop market place is much more
  strategic and has buyers whose needs we can exceed."

I totally agree with him. We're not going to take out Windows overnight. Far
from it. In the mean time, we have to take a realistic approach to what our
potential users are looking for -> manageable, lockable enterprise desktops,
predominantly for 'transactional' workers, that provide a significant cost
and CTO benefit over a Windows solution.

I'm glad the business leaders in our community aren't smoking crack.

- Jeff

[1] http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/ws/
[2] http://www.silicon.com/software/os/0,39024651,39116741,00.htm

    You know a French woman is faking it when she screams, "I would like
                     the table near the window please!"