[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

David Nusinow dnusinow@sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 6 20:23:09 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:34:42PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> One of the major changes in 2.5 (mentioned on the list earlier) is that
> Nautilus is now far more like the Classic Mac OS Finder - so it's spatial
> instead of navigational. You can still open up the navigational view (what
> you're seeing there with the address bar and stuff) as a 'File Browser', so
> they're very separate concepts now. It is *FUCKLOADS* faster in 2.5 again.
> The other thing is that the whole 'views' thing is disappearing in favour of
> an extension API. This will be much, much, much clearer to users, because
> documents won't open in the Nautilus window (eeeek), and they won't see
> strange non-icon/non-list views in it anymore. Major, major win.

Thank fucking God. I've been waiting for this day. Now if you guys just include
a hotkey to hold down when opening a new window so that the last one will
close, I'll be sold. I like Nautilus, but that's the one feature missing that
kept me from feeling like a comfy ol' Mac-head.

The speedup is welcome too. Any shot at cloning the spring loaded folders too
one of these days? I'd never thought of it before, but someone in #debian
pointed out to me that they're the GUI equivalent of tab completion, which is a
brilliant way of putting things. It might make the CLI people a little happier.

 - David Nusinow