[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Tue Jan 6 18:27:31 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:34:44AM -0500, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>According to Jeff Waugh:
>> I'm sure you can see why that kind of thing isn't super-high priority when
>> most developers are focusing on the complete environment.
>
>Well, gee, either Gnome supports other window managers or it doesn't.
>You don't get a pass for claiming an important feature then not
>supporting it.
>
>As it happens, I run gnome-setting-daemon; I find it does a fine job
>of stretching a jpeg onto my desktop, and of course Galeon and gaim
>use it.  If there is a stand-alone program that can do the stretching
>wallpaper thing well, I'd love to hear about it.  Most programs I've
>tried are quite bad at it (qiv, chameleon).

Not sure what you mean by "stretching" but if you mean resizing to fit
the screen, look at xv, old but good. I don't think the program has
changed much in 10 years. It has an option to push the image you are
viewing, onto the root window. (Doesn't survive a reboot of course) and
you can scale it, tile it, mirror it, whatever.

"The only cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
  -Dorothy Parker