[linux-elitists] sarge

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 6 18:23:45 PST 2004

Quoting Modus Operandi (modus@as220.org):

> No major snags, although for some reason I lost Galeon. Apparently, it
> now conflicts with Mozilla (I refuse to believe this, and will try to
> force that one.) I'll let you know if any other issues appear.

Karsten's explanation of this seems highly likely.  However, you can
still pull them down less automatically (e.g., using wget, and possibly
chasing some dependencies), from:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/galeon/

> Plus, finally I get to use the new GNOME that everyone is talking about. :)

So, both GNOME and KDE are classic problem areas for the testing track,,
as a natural consequence of how testing gets automatically populated
from "unstable" track packages that meet quarantine requirements.
Specifically, it's inevitable that the various packages of those suites
will pass quarantine at different times, which has dire effects on both
suites' tangled dependency trees.

A reasonably effective remedy is to put _both_ testing and unstable
lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, e.g.:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

...and this line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Default-Release "testing";

There are other ways to do that, but any way you do it, you've now
enabled yourself to do things like this:

apt-get -t unstable install gnome-games

This specifies the unstable target-release (or "track", as I put it) for
the named package _and_ for any dependencies of that package.

In the past, when Galeon packages _have_ been in the Packages.gz
catalogues for testing and unstable (which Karsten says isn't currently
the case), frequently either it would temporarily become uninstallable
to those of us on the testing track because the Mozilla version on which
it depended was still in quarantine.

--
Cheers,        "A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line, today.  The results
Rick Moen       blacked out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."