[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 18:21:46 PST 2004

<quote who="Aaron Lehmann">

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:13:28PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Well, it was Ximian's product, and I don't grok what you mean by going
> > too far. It was a GUI package management tool.
>
> AFAIK it sidestepped apt and other tools rather than integrating with
> them.

Yeah, it hits the metal at the dpkg level. That's really not such a hideous
thing, because the real level you need to integrate with Debian is at that
level, not apt's. apt is just a downloader and dependency resolver. I'm was
never a huge fan of RC myself, but I grok why they chose to impliment it
this way.

> I think it was part of Gnome's plans for world domination that you're so
> fond of speaking of.

Red Carpet has always been a Ximian product, and never considered as a GNOME
project.

- Jeff

  "NASCAR is not race per se. It's just a contest about who can turn left
                            the best." - Unknown