[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Tue Jan 6 17:45:52 PST 2004

begin  Brian McGroarty  quotation:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:03:04AM -0800, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> > 	Switching the subject, does anybody know what the deal is with
> > mutt and nntp?  Mutt has already managed to incorporate all of
> > slrn's OTHER features.  What gives?
>
> mutt is a mail client and seems to come from the school of "pick one
> thing and do it well." I'd love to see the same interface and
> possibly even some code shared between two similar apps, but where's
> the value in doing it in the same app?*
>
> (* This, coming from someone who reads news with gnus)

	Because gnus is just about the only decent newsreader out
there, and I can't be arsed to learn EMACS, even with all the
halfway-thereness of viper (which doesn't affect gnus keybindings
without totally breaking gnus).

	mutt does threading, scoring, intelligent header management,
etc etc etc.  The NNTP connection is the *ONLY* newsreader feature it
lacks.  I currently have my mailing lists auto-sorted into separate
folders for a somewhat newsish experience as it is.

	I'd imagine a proper implementation would work in a similar
fashion to the IMAP support.  The mutt core developers just don't see
any merit in it, which is sad.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end