[linux-elitists] sarge

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 17:42:19 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:01:05PM -0500, Modus Operandi (modus@as220.org) wrote:
> In the immortal words of Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>:
> >
> > o  Are you still running XFree86 3.x?  If so, you might want to junk
> >    your X setup before upgrading.  I mean, it'll still work, but
> >    you're better off starting afresh with the new development track's
> >    4.x setup and software, unless for some reason you really love 3.x.
> >
> > o  Do you have any locally installed software that dpkg/apt doesn't
> >    know about, e.g., under /usr/local or /opt?  Since apt knows
> >    nothing of that software's dependencies, the dependencies may
> >    break unless you take measures to ensure they don't.
> >
> > o  Are you still running an incredibly ancient kernel?  You might
> >    want to fix that first.
>
>   I took the plunge.
>
>   I upgraded my kernel from the (ancient) 2.2.20 woody one to the
>   slightly fresher 2.4.18-1-686.

FYI:  You'll need to update again as of today.  Kernel security update,
back-patched to 2.4.18.

>   I upgraded from my old xserver-svga to XFree86 4.x, and then I did
>   the entire apt-get dist-upgrade as per your instructions. It took
>   about an hour and a half at approx. 80kB/s.  No major snags,
>   although for some reason I lost Galeon.

Galeon's been removed from testing/unstable.  There's discussion on both
the debian-(user|devel) and galeon-(user|devel) lists.

Galeon's suffered badly, in part due to issues discussed recently on
this list.

>   Apparently, it now conflicts with Mozilla (I refuse to believe this,
>   and will try to force that one.) I'll let you know if any other
>   issues appear. Plus, finally I get to use the new GNOME that
>   everyone is talking about. :)

Huh?  What's GNOME?

;-)

Peace.