[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Tue Jan 6 13:36:32 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:15:33AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Brian McGroarty">
>
> > hardstatus on
> > hardstatus alwayslastline
> > hardstatus string "%{.bW}%-w%{.rW}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{..G} %H %{..Y} %m/%d %C%a "
> >
> > That keeps a list of the active screens, the host name, and a clock on the
> > last line. This works fine with every terminal I've tried, save
> > gnome-terminal, where it periodically causes the screen to corrupt or go
> > blank.
>
> You didn't happen to change themes while you were testing this, did you?

I didn't -- the corruption periodically happens on its own. The
problem seems to happen more frequently with applications that do a
lot of partial screen scrolling. Running tinyfugue or an irc client
like bitchx is a sure way to make it happen.

If anyone can suggest a quick hack I can do to capture the output sent
from screen to gnome-terminal, perhaps we can find the problem output?

> That's a known problem. These settings work for me - and they rock! Thanks!

Sure thing! Here's a .screenrc bonus:

blankerprg watch -n 60 "figlet -c `date \"+%A%n%B %d, %G%n%I:%M%P\"`" && cowsay `fortune`
idle 3600 blanker

Install cowsay, figlet, and fortune. Then, wait an hour without input,
or 'C-a :blanker' to test. AfterDark, look out! (Yes, it's a 'screen'
saver.)