[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Tue Jan 6 13:07:08 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:43:36PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> gnome-terminal itself has tabs and keys to switch between them, and at one
> point a while back I was trying to figure out how to get a list of screens
> and how to switch between them programatically out of screen remotely. I
> didn't find anything... But it would be really cool if the terminal did some
> introspection on screens inside and showed a menu list, tabs, whatever.

My vote for screen integration would be for fixed terminal handling so
screen didn't scroll and refresh so curiously slowly.

I'm also having a bit of trouble figuring out why its handling of
screen status bars is broken. I can't live without feeding my
.screenrc something like:

hardstatus on
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string "%{.bW}%-w%{.rW}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{..G} %H %{..Y} %m/%d %C%a "

That keeps a list of the active screens, the host name, and a clock on
the last line. This works fine with every terminal I've tried, save
gnome-terminal, where it periodically causes the screen to corrupt or
go blank.