[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Tue Jan 6 12:47:21 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:58:29PM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

> Well, been using GNOME for a day, so far, not too bad, although compared
> to rxvt, GNOME terminal is slow, I mean, annoyingly so. Not enough to
> say "enough" and shoot it in the head, but enough that it throws me off
> my stride when typing a message in SLRN (via vim) and then hit :wq y
> <gpg passphrase> in the quick cadence I am used to.
>
> That and text scrolls are slow too.

Are you using screen? There is something very broken about the way
gnome-terminal interacts with screen and many ncurses applications.

> Is there something I can do to speed those things up?

I found that changing the term to claim to be a Linux console instead
of an xterm helped in some cases. But even so, I found that I could
hold the enter key at a shell prompt and watch my CPU load spike on a
very beefy machine. It seems there's a bit of work to be done yet.