Snapping/impeding (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: GNOME != you)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 12:08:24 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:23:45PM -0500, Jeremy Hankins (nowan@nowan.org) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > Rather than "snapping" to a border, windows are impeded at a border.
> > They'll sit at the border of a window/desktop edge, for a few pixels,
> > while the mouse continues to move.  At the moment, I've got a setting
> > of '30', meaning that, within 30 pixels of a border, moving a window
> > doesn't happen.
> >
> > Since it's a freeze rather than a snap, this would appear to address
> > your "pinball effect".
>
> He may be talking about a case where there are two competing positions
> that a window can snap to -- e.g., you're putting a window between two
> others, and the space there is almost, but not quite, exactly a fit for
> the new window.

Again, since it's a freeze, rather than a snap, the window won't just
sit there jumping back and forth.

Though if the range between boundaries is close enough, you _will_ get a
quantum movement effect -- the window will "want" to be at one position
or the other.  But you need to make a significant mouse displacement (at
least equal to the boundary setting) for this to happen.

Also, looking at the dialog, edge resistance can be a "resist" (what
I've described) or "attract" (leading to pinballing).

> I remember seeing this a time or two, and I can see where it might be
> described as a pinball effect.  If that's what he's talking about,
> impeding at the border would be as likely to cause the problem as
> snapping to the border, but in the opposite case (when the space is
> slightly small, rather than slightly large).

Nope.  Because impede doesn't move the window.  It stops it.  Moving
past the boundary overrides the behavior.  Just tried this both ways.

Peace.

    First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
    wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak
    up, because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the Catholics, and I
    didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945